Kentico, creator of the Kentico CMS for ASP.NET content management system, has released Kentico CMS 5.5. The main improvements in this release are support for mobile websites, Facebook and OpenID authentication, and Visual Studio 2010/.NET 4.0 and an overall improvement in performance through code and database optimizations.
Additional improvements in Kentico CMS 5.5 include:
- easy creation of RSS feeds from any content using web parts
- template scopes for different site sections
- improved paging in the administration interface
- global administrators may be denied access to the Site Manager
- support for Bing and Yahoo! maps
- out-of-the-box integration with Microsoft SharePoint Server
- out-of-the-box MetaWeblogAPI interface that enables you to use editors like Windows Live Writer or Microsoft Word to write your blog posts
Kentico CEO Petr Palas noted that the company's main reason for releasing a 5.5 version was to incorporate the Visual Studio 2010 support. "In the future, we want to extend the release period, so that you do not have to upgrade so often," Palas said, in a recently mailed Kentico e-newsletter. "The next version will be a rather minor release 5.5 R2 in Q3/2010," said Palas, followed by version 6.0, which is scheduled for Q2 of 2011.
You can download a 30-day trial version of Kentico CMS 5.5 here. To learn more about version 5.5, go to the Kentico developer blog.